Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Days of Life 5 & 6 Care times & Kangaroo care


Day 5
Mom is starting to get my care times down.  Care times are regular times throughout the day when I am fed, changed, and surveyed for various things.  My mom lives for those care times because it's hands on baby time.  She changes my diaper, takes my temperature, and can help clean me up. Sometimes she just places her hands on me to calm me down.  She gets real upset when the nurses don't adhere to the times and try to change me early, while she's out of the room. Dad also learns how to change me during care times, and his hands are so comforting to me because he's so big and can almost cover me up with just one hand!
Dad has some big ole hands that are so soothing.

I'm too young to have developed a working digestive system.  While I get a small amount of milk every feeding, it's mostly just to make sure my stomach expands.  I had been getting food through my belly button lines.  Since they thought I was going to be such a sick kiddo, they put those lines in but they only last about a week.  I'm planning on staying at this weird looking hotel until my original delivery date, June 11th, so they need to install something much more permanent.  
This is Dr. Phillips.  He's helps mom understand all that is going on and is patient with her 5000 questions. See my dad in the background?

  1. They put in a PICC line, which goes in my arm and feeds into my central system.  This is supposed to take only 5 minutes or so, but something is a little odd about my blood vessels and it took them three tries.  It made mom, dad, and grandma realllly nervous.  


Day 6
Today Grandma and Grandpa had to go back to Missouri, wherever that is.  I sure am going to miss them, but I can't wait to see them again in a few months when I am big and strong!
My first visitors


Grandma never stops looking at me.  She sees everything.
After grandma and grandpa left, I got an awesome nurse who really put mom to work!  She even said we could do Kangaroo Care time!  After my noon cares, the nurse placed me right on top of mom,  directly skin to skin chest to chest!  She was so snuggly and warm and it made me soooooo happy.  For 2.5 hours I just hung out while mom read and sang to me.  I really like Mamma Cass's Dream a Little Dream of Me. When I had to go back to my bed, I was not happy.  Mom says I cried like a banshee.  






Don't worry this is kangaroo care, there are no boobs in this picture. 


Don't worry this is kangaroo care, there are no boobs in this picture





I love sleeping with my hands on my face, holding on to something.


No comments:

Post a Comment