Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Day of Life 21: Mom steals my 3 week birthday and how I was named Malala

Happy 3 week birthday to me. Where's my cake?

Well, I don't have any photos of me today because Mom got a second case of mastitis.   However when she told me the next day why she was down and out this is how I reacted:
Oh Mom not on my 3 week birthday!

So I don't have much of an update except that Dad had to come rescue Mom.  Yesterday I talked about my pacifier and how it soothes me.  I guess Dad is sorta like Mom's pacifier for crazy.  She just picks up the phone and starts crying and he shows up like superman or something.  Most of the time he just hangs out with her or takes over my cares, but she says it helps.

I got my weekly measurements today and have grown a whole 2 centimeters in length since birth!  

Now a note on the name Malala Hope.  First of all it is pronounced exactly how it looks if you broke the syllables up:  Ma-La-La.  Lots of people think it's Hawaiian or Malayla, and while those sound neat and pretty, it's just not me.  Unless I change it when I'm older, which my parents said I can do or shorten it to Molly or Lala.  Right now, they still call me squeaks, or sweetness, or sweet pea, or baby girl.  So many names!

So how did I get this name?  I am named after Malala Yousafzai.  She is the youngest winner of the Nobel Peach Prize (she was 17 when awarded).  She is an activist for women and girls education in Pakistan.  When she was 14 a Taliban gunmen targeted her and shot her in the face one day in a van full of young school girls. She nearly died, but recovered and has become an international advocate for education.  Her hardship has only made her more resilient and determined to use her voice.  Mom and Dad like her a lot because she is brave, strong, and a fighter. They wanted to name me after someone with those qualities, because they believe I am those things too.  After all, my parents were told in week 13 that I wasn't going to ever get to this point, and I showed them I could!  and everyone thought I was going to be so weak and sick, but look at me now (or you could if mom took pictures of me).  So that is the story of Malala.  It is a unique name and maybe a lot to live up to, but the other thing that my p's like about her is that she is also just a girl.  Mom read her book and it reminded her that anybody, even someone from the most humble beginnings can make a difference and inspire people.  And just in case, I got Hope for a middle name.  We can all use a little HOPE in our lives, and it's what Mom and Dad clung to for 29 weeks and counting.  

It kind makes you think... some people are willing to die to be educated, and others take it for granted and complain about it all the time.  Pretty interesting perspective!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, today's report just gave me the chills and I'm caught in the emotion of a really great story. Tears of happiness and tears of being so proud of this family!

    ReplyDelete